PLEASE READ THIS PRIVACY NOTICE COMPLETELY AND CAREFULLY BEFORE USING THE SERVICE OR SUBMITTING ANY INFORMATION, PARTICULARLY PERSONAL INFORMATION, THROUGH THE SERVICE. BY USING THE SERVICE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE.
HOW WE COLLECT AND USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information that we or others can use to personally identify a specific individual. Different laws define personal information (and similar terms, such as personal data and personally identifiable information) to mean different things, but it generally includes information like your name, mailing address, email address, and phone number. It may also include a computer or mobile device IP address, if that IP address can be linked to a particular person, or geo-location information, again if that information can be used to pinpoint a specific person.
What Choices Do You Have About Sharing Your Personal Information?
You are generally in control of whether you provide us with any personal information. For example, you can visit and view our website without disclosing any personal information about yourself. Although using our website may result in our obtaining your IP address and browsing behavior, we do not use that information by itself to personally identify you.
What Categories of Information Do We Collect and How Do We Collect it?
Below, we describe the categories of personal information we collect, our reasons for collecting that information, and how we use it:
- Personal Identifiers: This is information that identifies you as an individual, and includes your name, your mailing address, your email address, any online identifiers (user names), your IP address, your social security number, your driver’s license or other state-issued ID number, and your passport number.
We collect this information directly from you when you interact with us through the Service or through our customer service telephone resources. Some information, such as your name and email address, is required to interact with us, such as when you create an account or request information from us, and some information, such as online identifiers and your IP address, is automatically collected as a part of those interactions. Other information may be added by you in your discretion as a part of the information that you include in your leafplanner account.
If a user of the Service sends an invitation to a third party to use or access the Service, we will also collect the email address of that third party.
In addition, if you voluntarily include this information in your leafplanner account, we will store it in your account on your behalf as a component of the Service we provide.
- Billing Information: If you become a leafplanner customer, we will need to collect your payment details. These will be collected via a third-party, PCI-compliant payment platform. Our billing is structured so that your payment details are sent directly to the payment platform, and are not stored in our Service.
- leafplanner Account Information: Our leafplanner application is designed to serve as a single source of information for customer estate planning, and all knowledge associated with that. Accordingly, use of the leafplanner application necessarily involves the collection of a significant amount of information across a broad spectrum of categories. By becoming a leafplanner customer, it is your choice, in your sole discretion, to provide this information as a part of the leafplanner account you create as a part of the Service, such as by optional document uploads and text entry fields. Therefore, the extent of personal information you provide is, ultimately, up to you. Below, we discuss the categories of information that you may provide as a part of the leafplanner experience, but for each of these categories, we will collect only the details you choose to provide:
- Personal Characteristics: This includes age and birthdate, physical description, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, marital status, sex (including gender, gender identity, and gender expression).
- Education and Employment Information: This includes education history, education records, employment history, employment records, and military/veteran status.
- Financial Records Information: This includes high-level financial account information, such as the name of the account and access instructions. However, we do not collect bank account numbers, passwords, or credit/debit card numbers.
- Health Information: This includes insurance policy numbers, account information, and related documents, as well as health history, genetic information, and family doctor/medical professional information.
- Commercial Information: This includes records of assets and liabilities, such as real estate holdings, mortgages, HELOCs, vehicles, vehicle loans, club memberships and programs, collections, private investments, personal financial assets, business interests, and similar assets.
We collect this information only if you voluntarily add it to your leafplanner account, and we store it in your account on your behalf as a component of the Service we provide. Our role is to store the information for you, but we do not use it for any purpose other than the creation and maintenance of your leafplanner account.
- Other User-Generated Information: From time to time, the Service may offer interactive features, such as participation in a survey, contest, or promotion. If you elect to participate in any interactive features, we will collect any personal information that you include as a part of your participation. The specific information collected will depend on the nature of the promotion and your level of participation, but may include information such as your name and any images (such as photographs) you choose to provide.
- Browsing and Device Information: This includes information like your device IP address, referring website(s), browser and devise types, page visit information, and interactions with our Service and advertisements. We collect this information through online identifiers in marketing emails, digital advertisements, and other online interactions via our web logs and/or from analytics providers. If you also provide us with your identification and contact information (discussed above), we may link your browsing information with your contact information in our database.
- Geolocation Information. This includes information like your physical location and movements. We may derive this information from your IP address via our web logs and/or from analytics providers.
How Do We Use Personal Information?
We use the personal information we collect for the following purposes related to our operation of our business and our product and services offerings:
- Interacting with our customers and prospects, including responding to inquiries, providing requested information including product demonstrations, and contacting you regarding your leafplanner account;
- Verification of our customers’ identity when they create or log into a leafplanner account;
- Creating, maintaining, and managing leafplanner accounts, facilitating your use of the Service, and providing related customer support;
- Storing customer-provided information in the leafplanner accounts;
- Processing customer payments (which may be conducted via our third-party payment platform);
- Engaging with customers and others via contests, promotions, and other interactive features;
- Personalizing our users’ experiences with our Service;
- Understanding our customers’, clients’, prospects’, and users’ behavior and interests;
- Monitoring activity within the Service for customer support purposes;
- Evaluating and improving our product and service quality (including identifying, monitoring, and tracking bugs in product versions);
- Using de-identified information for research, communicating with our board, engaging in fundraising efforts, and for analytical purposes relating to improving the Service and our customer interface;
- Delivering targeted advertising, newsletters, and other content, subject to your rights to opt out and to applicable law;
- Complying with legal requirements; and
- Ensuring security of accounts, preventing and addressing fraud and breaches of our requirements and policies.
How Long Do We Retain Personal Information?
We keep the personal information we collect for as long as we continue to have a business need to do so (which will be at least as long as you maintain any leafplanner account), unless a longer period is required by law. Business needs include customer management, legal, risk management, and other business purposes.
If you have a leafplanner account, you will be able to remove the leafplanner account information that you choose to house in your account at your discretion.
HOW AND WHY WE SHARE INFORMATION
Generally, we restrict access to your personal information to those who need to use for purposes consistent with those described in this policy. We may share information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- In some cases, you may wish to have us share information in your leafplanner account, such as your financial information, health information, and commercial information. We will only share this information when you, as an account holder, prompt us to do so, either via a PDF export or by adding an additional user to your account. Please note that when we share information at your direction, we have no control over what the party accessing your information may do with it once it is in their possession.
- We may provide information to our business partners, such as vendors and consultants, who need this information for business purposes relevant to your inquiry or your relationship with us.
- We may provide information to our trusted service providers who use that information to conduct business on our behalf. For example, they may handle our customer and data management and online newsletter distributions. We provide these service providers only with the information they need to perform their services, and work with them to respect and protect your privacy.
- We may share information with data analytics platforms, who use this information to track website usage and activity, and who compile statistics and perform analyses intended to improve our Service and provide us with information relevant to our marketing, sales, and product research.
- We may share information, including personal information, in connection with, during negotiations of, or as a part of the closing of, any merger, sale of company assets (including if we go out of business or enter bankruptcy), financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company, in which personal information about the users of our Service is among the assets transferred or is otherwise relevant to due diligence.
We do not disclose any personal information that we collect about you through the Service to anyone for any purpose other than as disclosed, without informing you and obtaining your consent as required by law. We do not sell any personal information.
COOKIES AND OTHER TRACKING TECHNOLOGY
Most web and device browsers automatically accept cookies and other tracking technologies, but you can usually change your settings to prevent that, such as by having your device warn you each time a cookie is being sent or choosing to turn off all cookies. This can be done through your web browser settings, and because each browser is different, you should look at your browser’s “Help” menu to learn how to modify your cookie settings. In addition, on our website you will be able to disable all cookies other than the cookie that we store to remember your preference not to be tracked. If you do disable cookies, you may not be able to access certain features of the Service, which may make your experiences less efficient.
Our Site and Third Party Tracking Technologies.
We cannot control any third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
How We Respond to "Do Not Track" Requests.
Currently, certain browsers offer a “do not track” (DNT) option. This option, using a technology known as a DNT header, sends a signal to websites visited by the user about the user’s DNT preference, if any, set on the browser. While we try to honor DNT requests as noted above, we cannot currently commit to responding to all browsers’ DNT signals. We cannot make this commitment because there is not a common understanding among industry groups, technology companies, or regulators about how to interpret the DNT signal.
THIRD PARTY SITES AND SOCIAL SHARING FEATURES
Our Service may include links to other websites, including social networking sites. If you use our Service to access any third party site, please note that we do not control the privacy practices of any third parties. Once you leave our Service, the collection and use of your information will be governed by the policy of the third party site.
Our Service may also offer social network and similar sharing features, such as Linkedin and/or similar links or buttons, which may let you share information related to the Service through your preferred social media platforms. If you permit a connection between our Service and your social network page(s), we (and the social network) may be able to identify you, and associate the information we (and they) receive with information we (and they) already have about you. In addition, depending on how you use those features and your settings with the social network provider(s), the information you share to your social network pages will be available to others, including your friends and/or the public. For more information about how your information may be shared through those social networks once it is provided.
OUR SECURITY MEASURES
We and our website host use a variety of industry-standard security, commercially reasonable physical, operations, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your information and prevent unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission of information, we make commercially reasonable efforts to ensure the security of our systems. However, please note that this is not a guarantee that your information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our safeguards.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. You are responsible for keeping your leafplanner account private, and you should not share your password with anyone.
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR INFORMATION
General Rights of All Users.
Providing Personal Information Is Your Choice. You can browse our website without providing any personal information, other than browsing data (which we do not attempt to use, by itself, to identify a particular person). However, if you choose to use the Service to engage with us, such as by requesting information, using the leafplanner application, or creating a leafplanner account, you will be required to provide us with the necessary information, and when you do so your personal information will be used as described in this policy. If you do not want to provide us with any information, you should not use our Service in a manner that requires you to do so.
Your Rights to Opt Out of Certain Communications. You can always opt out of receiving promotional communications such as our newsletters by selecting the “unsubscribe” link included in any email communications, or by contacting us at us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that despite your email preferences, we may need to contact you regarding our business relationship with you, as required by law, or regarding legal matters. However, we will not send you marketing communications after you have opted out of receiving them.
Your Rights to Update and Change Your Information. You can contact us at any time at email@example.com to request that we make any edits to any personal information that you believe we maintain.
Certain Rights of California Residents.
If you are a California resident, the California “Shine the Light” law permits individuals to request certain details about our disclosure of their personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident and you would like to make such a request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Certain Rights of Nevada Residents.
If you are a Nevada resident, please note that we do not sell information as defined in and for purposes of Nevada’s online privacy law.
Certain Rights of EU Persons.
If you are a Nevada resident, please note that we do not sell information as defined in and for purposes of Nevada’s online privacy law.
- Right to Access – this is the right to request copies of your personal information from us.
- Right to Correct – this is the right to have personal information corrected if it is accurate or incomplete.
- Right to Erasure – this is the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information from our systems.
- Right to Restrict Use – this is your right to block us from using, or to limit the ways we can use, your personal information.
- Right to Data Portability – this is your right to request that certain of your personal information be transferred to a different provider.
- Right to Object – this is your right to object to our use of your personal information, including when we use it for our legitimate interests, including for marketing purposes.
If you would like to exercise any of the rights described above, or if you have questions relating to them, you can contact us at email@example.com. If you are not satisfied with how we have responded to any request you make regarding the above rights, you may be able to raise your complaint with the Data Protection Authority in your jurisdiction. You can find your national Data Protection Authority here.
For purposes of the GDPR, we will only process your personal information if we have a lawful basis for doing so. Our lawful bases are as follows:
- Contractual Necessity: If you are a leafplanner customer, we will collect the personal information necessary for us to provide you with the Service.
- Legitimate Business Interest: We will also process your personal information on the basis of our legitimate business interests in pursuing, cultivating, and managing a commercial relationship with you, including marketing our products and services offering to prospects and customers.
- Consent: Where legally required, we will obtain your consent to the collection and use of your personal information.
For purposes of the GDPR, if you are located in the EU, we are the controller of the personal information you provide to us.
We do not generally transfer information from within the European Economic Area to any jurisdictions outside of it. However, if we do so, we will do so in a manner that complies with the requirements of the GDPR.
A NOTE ABOUT CHILDREN
Our Service is not targeted to, and we have no interest in collecting information from, children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or legal guardian who believes that your child has provided us with any personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.